Construction Payment Blog

Comprehensive Collection of Construction Payment & Lien Rights resources

Securing Lien Rights in Washington: A Fact Sheet

Last Updated on

Reading Time: 1

Anyone who furnishes labor, professional services, materials, or equipment for the improvement of real property in Washington state is qualified to file a mechanics lien. However, parties who did not contract directly with the owner are required to send a Notice to Owner in order to secure lien rights. Parties who don’t protect the right to file a lien by sending notice to owner (a type of preliminary notice) are left with little recourse in the event of nonpayment.

zlien has compiled a one-page fact sheet to simplify and clarify the process for securing lien rights in Washington. Download the free PDF for an outline which explains the following:

  1. Who has lien rights in Washington
  2. Who is required to send notice to owner
  3. When notice to owner is due
  4. Who should receive a Washington notice to owner
  5. How to deliver notice to owner in Washington

The one-page download on securing lien rights in Washington also contains a blank Washington notice to owner template. Click the button below to download the PDF.

Want to make this process even easier? Click here.

Download Washington Notice to Owner

Last Updated on Nov 26, 2018
Published on May 17, 2016


Olivia Huppman is a marketing associate at zlien. She manages the Construction Payment Blog and works to make sure zlien's resources are as helpful, accessible, and thorough as possible. Need help finding information about lien waivers, preliminary notices, or mechanics lien compliance? Let her know by emailing

Leading Thought on Construction Payment, Delivered To Your Inbox

zlien's Construction Payment Blog helps professionals in the construction industry navigate complicated payment issues. Join over 20,000 people who read our blog each month and subscribe.


Read Next